Working a 9 to 5 doesn't have to mean a lifetime of fast food and chocolate bars. If you truly want to improve your health, plan to eat well and put the time in to make it happen. Many people struggle with meal planning and this leads into missed breakfasts, nutrition deprived lunches, and fast food dinners.
#1. Eat a BIG Breakfast
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Make a large well balanced meal with fibre, fruit/berries/veggies, juice, milk and protein (eggs, bacon, pancakes). If you eat a healthy breakfast you won't be starving at lunch.
An omelette takes less than 3 minutes to make. (I've timed it.) And its healthy! Just have the veggies readied, the pan already on the stove... just add canola oil, turn on, add eggs, stir in veggies, and voila, done.
1. Make Double or Quadruple
By making extra for dinner, you can easily save additional portions for work the next day (and the next and the next...). Soups, stews and grain dishes work really well here. If you pack leftovers to reheat the next day, a sandwich to eat on the go, and some fruit, you already have your work days covered!
2. Make Snack that will survive the week.
By preparing healthy muffins, hummus with cut veggies, or trail mix, you can easily grab and go any time during the week. If you do the prep work on a Sunday, then these in between meals are quick and ready for work, when you are!
eg. Did you know Jell-O has protein in it? And for its size its mostly water, so it makes for a fairly healthy snack / dessert.
3. Stock Alternative Fruits
Buying variety for fruits at the supermarket make a difference when you want something different every day of the week. Apples, oranges, grapes, bananas, salads with peppers. Maybe not tomatoes however because they don't travel well.
4. Have Breakfast laid out and ready
Have your breakfast items on the counter, or pre-made in the fridge, speeds things up. I like the breakfast muesli. You can prepare it the night before and its ready to eat. Just add chopped fruit and milk. It is just like putting your exercise clothes out the night before - if its there you will wear it / eat it.
What else do you have to think about in the car or on the TTC subway? (Commute times in Toronto are the longest in the world.) You have lots of time to plan.
Even a loose outline of how you would like to eat during the week will help significantly. Plan for meals that will last, can be saved, and require little to no prep time at work.
Note: Having lots of quality packaging (easy to clean and use) makes a big difference too.
6. The lesser of Two Evils
There will be days when you are too busy and none of these tips will work. In the case of a failed fresh food day, grab a low cal frozen entree in the place of vending machine or greasy food court fare. While the sodium will be high, and the food will be pumped with preservatives, it's going to be better than anything you could buy in greasy food court portion sizes!
10 Exercise Tricks 12 New Years Resolutions 12 Steps of Becoming Healthier 30 Days as a Vegetarian 5 Slimming Foods 6 Minute Cardio 8 Super Fun Exercises Ab Workouts Adrenaline High Weight Loss Afterburn Effect Archery Beach Perfect Body Bicycling Boxing Building Endurance Calorie Myths Cardio Exercises Competitive Sports Dancing Dieting Exercise Books Exercise Humour Exercise Myths Exercise Questions Exercise Quotes Family Fitness Flexibility Frugal Exercises Healthy Food Interval Training Jogging Living Longer Loose Skin Mission Statement Morning Exercises Motivating Yourself Myth Busting Notes Obesity and Weight Loss Personal Trainers Popular Professional Athletes Rest and Sleep Running Sit Ups Special Offers Sports Injuries Stretching Summer Activities Swimming Testimonials Testing Your Limits The Pet Project Toronto Toronto Gyms Tracking your Calorie Loss Unusual Exercises Vacation Exercises Walking and Hiking Weightlifting Whey Protein Winter Activities Yoga Zen Exercising
The most popular blog post on this website thus far is one titled Weight Loss + Loose Skin , even though my later post Preventing Loose Sk...
Q "Hello! I recently suffered an injury to my nose during boxing and when it was healing I noticed that my nose had become...
Okay, you've lost some weight... but you've noticed that your skin now feels looser because maybe you lost weight in a hurry and now...
Q "Hi! I found your nose exercise page this morning. Cannot wait to try them. Are there exercises for my crooked nose? P...
Want to burn more calories and trick your body into burning more calories without thinking about it? (Okay, some of them you do have to th...
Now you might first be wondering - "What is a thigh gap???" Basically it is a term commonly used by fashion-conscious young wo...
I was recently asked a series of archery questions by a reporter from the National Post, a Canadian newspaper. The questions pertained to a ...
Making your desktop image for your computer something which motivates you to exercise... or printing out various motivational images and put...
Here is a bizarre yet interesting bit of news... According to Alexa.com (a website which tracks the popularity of every website on the p...
Before and After: Proof that you can do it. If you look like the girl on the left remember that she eventually became the girl on the ri...
Cardio Trek Posts
- ► 2016 (100)
- ► 2015 (120)
- ► 2014 (120)
- Exercising on a Budget
- Customized Personal Training Programs
- Healthy Meal Plans for Work
- Weightlifting During Pregnancy + After Having Kids...
- How to Bicycle in the Winter without getting Cold
- Exercise Equipment for the Obese
- The Triceps Kickback
- What makes a healthy teenager?
- The Canadian Daily
- Nutrition is More Important than Exercise
- Sweating Hard + 10 Exercise Myths
- Can I Exercise Around An Injury?
- Workout Ideas for Overweight Teenagers
- Health Benefits of Dates
- Do Fitness Games like Wii Fit really work?
- Two Plank Variations
- Get Better Sleep = Sleep Healthier
- Why a Stopwatch is Important
- Bust Firming Exercises
- Making Healthier Food Choices
- How to Curb the Munchies
- Low Carb Flax Bread
- Become a Fat Burning Furnace
- Combining Circuit Training with Interval Training
- How often should you be working out?
- Awa Kenzo + Zen Archery Tips
- Fitness Trends for 2013
- How to Measure Weigh Loss Success
- Escalating Density Training
- Strength Training After 40
- 15 Faster and More Effective Exercises
- Aerobic Exercises the Better Bet
- Three Exercise and Dietary Myths
- Feeling Anxious? Rethink Your Diet
- Exercise Motivational Quotes
- Alexa Ranking - CardioTrek in the Top 5000 for Tor...
- 20 Ways to Tighten Skin after Weight Loss
- Cold Showers Burn Calories
- Motivational Quotes for January
- How to Ween Yourself Off Sugar in 30 Days
- How to Walk Yourself Fit
- Exercise Motivational Quotes for the New Years
- Two Alternative Models for Predicting Muscle Growt...
- 10-Minute Fat Blaster
- 50 Snacks that are Under 50 Calories
- The Importance of Rest Periods
- 6 Ways to Tone your Obliques
- 13 New Years Resolutions for a Beach Perfect Body
- 13 Diet and Exercise Resolutions for 2013
- New Years Resolutions for 2013
- ▼ Jan (50)
- ► 2012 (180)