We will be getting him his own equipment for Christmas. Can you recommend what equipment we should get him for Christmas and where to go shopping?
Have a great Christmas!
Maggie and Tobias H."
You are welcome. Always happy to help.
Since your son is in his late teens I recommend getting him the following from Tent City in North York:
- Samick Sage, 25 lbs, right hand pull.* $150.
- 12 arrows, preferably 600 spine. Beman Junior Hunters or Easton 600s would work. $7 to $10 per arrow depending on the manufacturer or whether you have custom fletched arrows.
- Finger glove, size large. Approx. $14.
- Arm bracer. Approx. $20 or more for a good one.
- Bowstringer. Approx. $12.
- Bow string wax. Approx. $10.
- Spare bow string for future use. Approx. $15.
- Arrow rest. $7 to to $36 for a decent one. Do NOT get the plastic sticker arrow rests.
- Quiver. Optional, prices vary.
I also recommend avoiding any counterfeit / knock-off bows. A growing problem in the industry is disreputable companies selling counterfeit archery equipment made overseas in China/etc. Not only is there no warranty, but they break easily.
Best of luck and happy shooting!
Follow up email:
"Thanks for the list! Your advice is invaluable. See you next year!"