10 Exercise Tricks 12 New Years Resolutions 12 Steps of Becoming Healthier 30 Days as a Vegetarian 5 Slimming Foods 6 Minute Cardio 8 Super Fun Exercises Ab Workouts Adrenaline High Weight Loss Afterburn Effect Archery Beach Perfect Body Bicycling Boxing Building Endurance Calorie Myths Cardio Exercises Competitive Sports Dancing Dieting Exercise Books Exercise Humour Exercise Myths Exercise Questions Exercise Quotes Family Fitness Flexibility Frugal Exercises Healthy Food Interval Training Jogging Living Longer Loose Skin Mission Statement Morning Exercises Motivating Yourself Myth Busting Notes Obesity and Weight Loss Personal Trainers Popular Professional Athletes Rest and Sleep Running Sit Ups Special Offers Sports Injuries Stretching Summer Activities Swimming Testimonials Testing Your Limits The Pet Project Toronto Toronto Gyms Tracking your Calorie Loss Unusual Exercises Vacation Exercises Walking and Hiking Weightlifting Whey Protein Winter Activities Yoga Zen Exercising
Sun Salutations in Yoga
During the physical practice of yoga, the session will sometimes begin with an exercise known as sun salutations. This series of twelve moving postures (asanas) are timed with breathing (inhaling and exhaling). The series is repeated anywhere from three times or more. Due to the nature of the sun salutation's constant movement, breath work, stretches and mental concentration, they encompass many common components of fitness, and makes for a challenging and effective total body workout.
Five Benefits of doing Sun Salutations
1. Postures such as chaturanga, (negative tricep push up), the Crescent pose, (lunges) and plank are body weight strength exercises that will burn more fat while at rest, decrease risk of injury and maintain bone density. Sun salutations strengthen the core very well, and yoga is commonly prescribed for low back injury and rehabilitation.
2. Sun Salutations have the potential to be very cardiovascular and burn a lot of calories while exercising your lungs and heart. Consistent movement, inverted poses (head lower than heart) like downward dog, and holding poses will improve heart and lung capacity, increase endurance and aid weight loss.
3. Poses like forward bends and downward dog will increase flexibility when practiced regularly. Sun Salutations are fantastic for releasing tension in the hamstrings and hips.
4. Focusing on timed breathing will increase mental focus and reduce stress. It teaches perseverance, mental toughness gives you a goal and something to think about to clear your mind during practice.
5. Sun Salutations will give you an all-around nice body! Yogis are known for their elongated muscles, lower body fat and over-all athleticism. Many martial artists also do yoga.
The most popular blog post on this website thus far is one titled Weight Loss + Loose Skin , even though my later post Preventing Loose Sk...
Q "Hello! I recently suffered an injury to my nose during boxing and when it was healing I noticed that my nose had become...
Okay, you've lost some weight... but you've noticed that your skin now feels looser because maybe you lost weight in a hurry and now...
Q "Hi! I found your nose exercise page this morning. Cannot wait to try them. Are there exercises for my crooked nose? P...
Want to burn more calories and trick your body into burning more calories without thinking about it? (Okay, some of them you do have to th...
Now you might first be wondering - "What is a thigh gap???" Basically it is a term commonly used by fashion-conscious young wo...
I was recently asked a series of archery questions by a reporter from the National Post, a Canadian newspaper. The questions pertained to a ...
Making your desktop image for your computer something which motivates you to exercise... or printing out various motivational images and put...
Here is a bizarre yet interesting bit of news... According to Alexa.com (a website which tracks the popularity of every website on the p...
Before and After: Proof that you can do it. If you look like the girl on the left remember that she eventually became the girl on the ri...
Cardio Trek Posts
- ► 2016 (100)
- ► 2015 (120)
- ► 2014 (120)
- How to Reward Yourself and Stay Motivated
- Sun Salutations in Yoga
- How to do a Proper Bicep Curl - and get better res...
- Hallmarks of the Successful Weight Loss Plan
- Belly Dancing for Exercise
- Want to Beat Fat? Learn Your Enemy!
- When To Detox Diet
- 12 Tips for Running a Marathon
- Moderation in Dieting Vs Outright Banning Foods
- General Wellness - Mind, Body + Soul
- St Patricks Sale - 43% Off
- Winter Weight Gain - What to do about it!
- How to Build Your Own Rowing Machine
- 12 Valentines Resolutions
- How to get a Thigh Gap
- BOSU Exercises - Take it up a notch?
- Make Your Family Eat More Veggies
- Understanding your Basal Metabolic Rate
- Healthy Habits of Fit People
- Kung Fu Abs Workout
- Understanding the Glycemic Index
- Stairs and Steps - Frugal Exercising
- Yoga Class Etiquette 101
- How to Stop on Ice Skates
- Yoga can do Amazing and Inspiring Things
- Weight Lifting Sets + Self Control
- Breathing Exercises during Yoga
- How to Buy a Yoga Mat
- Exercise Quotes for February
- Have you given up on your New Years Resolutions ye...
- ▼ Feb (30)
- ► 2012 (180)